List of Vocal Hygiene of the vocals cords
Objective: maintain vocal health by promoting positive habits and trying to avoid those that are unfavorable.
Avoid the followings behaviors that are harmful to the voice:
- To talk for a long time for to mobile pone or proyect the voice .
- Not respect the intermediate braks that the voice needs.
- Speak whispering.
- Emit sounds while performing a physical or muscular effort (for example,
- lifting a weight).
- Contaminated and noisy environments.
- Food: avoid very salty foods, spices, very spicy foods, very sweet foods.
- Be careful with the types of honey and candies, and with the acids (lemon, orange, tomato, Apple…).
- Avoid eating too much before going to bed.
- Too cold environmental humidity and air conditioning or heating devices
- that dry the environment.
- Caution with substances such as eucalyptus, lemon and those
- containing the particle “-ol” in their name.
- Avoid coughing and clearing or hawking with effort.
Encourage healthy behaviors for to vocal hygiene:
- Hydratation (drink liquids at room temperature: neither too cold nor too
- hot, inhale steam (vapors) without drying aromas (eg eucalyptus), take
- infusions and lots of water).
- Gargarisms are useful for pharyngeal infections.
- Nasal breathing: keep the nostrils free (clean them with saline or salted
- wáter/baking soda- without abusing salt-).
- Vocal rest: rest after talking a long time or abstaining in very noisy
- Balanced diet.
- Use the yawn to relax the pharyngo-buccal area.
- Find a correct body posture at work and in daily tasks.
- Try to sleep about eight hours a day.
- Do sport in wich no weights are involved.